The sun’s UV rays have become so harmful that even in the winter months, a healthy slathering of sunscreen is necessary to protect yourself from sunburns and skin cancer. If you’ve ever made the mistake of skipping your sunscreen before a day in the sun, then you know how painful it can be. Make your stay at Branson vacation rentals more enjoyable by always remembering to put on that sunscreen before you go out.
How sunscreen works
Sunscreen works by reflecting or scattering UV radiation, thereby preventing these from infiltrating the skin and causing damage. A mix of organic and inorganic active content makes this possible. One particular organic ingredient, called octyl methoxycinnamate, has the ability to absorb UV radiation and dissipate it as heat.
The right sunscreen to use
Choosing the right sunscreen requires knowing how much sun exposure to expect. In all cases, a broad-spectrum sunscreen offering comprehensive protection against the two types of UV rays (UVA and UVB) that damage the skin. Sunscreens typically have an SPF rating. To know which one is right for your needs, here’s an explanation of what an SPF rating means for a particular sunscreen product:
- SPF 15 – blocks 94 percent of the sun’s rays
- SPF 30 – blocks about 97 percent
- SPF 50 – blocks about 98 percent
There is no evidence that a sunscreen with an SPF higher than 50 is more effective than an SPF 50 product. That said, you can enhance your sunscreen’s effectiveness by taking the following precautions:
- Avoid staying too long in the sun between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Check the UV Index provided by most weather websites to help you plan your activities.
- Wear protective clothing and accessories when applicable.
- Avoid tanning beds, as these contain the same ultraviolet light that cause skin cancer.
- See a dermatologist immediately if you notice any unusual changes on your skin.
Keep these tips in mind to protect yourself while on vacation in Branson. If you’re looking for the best lodging in Branson, MO, travel agents like Tom and Kate Kubat of Branson Regal can provide you with what you need.
(Sunscreens Explained, SkinCancer.org)
(What Do Sunscreen Numbers Mean? SPF Ratings, Brands And UV Rays Explained, IBTimes.com)